Friday, October 24, 2014

Further Reflections as we're waiting:

So as we wait for our flight to Bagan, I will add in a few things I've forgotten or neglected to mention. On our first day with the group, we also went to see the cement boats that had been built in the 80s as a replica for some royal barges from the 1700s. These obviously don't float, but serve as a nice backdrop. We came upon a bride and groom getting pictures taken. She had a lovely lavender gown that bloomed behind her reminding me of a peacock. Brought back memories of our Indian Wedding.
My thoughts on Myanmar/Burma after 2 days? This is an emerging culture. The people appear well nourished. They are friendly, but not as effusively so as in India. The country appears to run well, and there is minimal trash on the streets. There is no evidence of any military presence at this time. Ann just read to me a passage from "Finding George Orwell in Burma" describing the uprisings of 2004. Hmmm



Sent from my iPad

No comments: