Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Arriving in Yangon

13 1/2 time zones and 19 hours traveling later, we are here. That really is a long flight. It is Wednesday morning as I write, but Tuesday back home. I'm not sure I got any sleep, but we will see how this day goes.
Cathay Pacific is again a wonderful airline, especially for Business Class. I can't imagine such a long flight in coach. As I investigated the TV selections, I found the first season of House of Cards. I figured I'd get no sleep at all, but (luckily) the sound was not good enough for my hearing that I could really understand all the words. That is a show where one really needs to get the words. I watched Game of Thrones which was more acceptable since I already knew the plot. (Don't drink the wine, Joffrey)
Our problems arose when we realized the short connection time in Hong Kong was even shorter by our 1/2 hour delay in leaving Chicago. Ann talked to the flight crew, and they made sure the connecting flight would be held. We weren't the only ones with connection problems. We weren't sure what was going to happen to the bag we had to check in Chicago, or even any of our luggage. In addition, Elsa had checked her bags to Hong Kong, expecting she would have to change them there.
So we arrived in Hong Kong and were met by agents to ferry us and everybody else to their proper gates. The 3 hour flight was better to get the first 2 episodes of House of Cards in with a headphone system that worked better.
Arriving in Yangon at 11:30 pm, we got some of our luggage, but not all. The stuff we checked in DC made it, but not the bag from Chicago. Elsa's didn't make it at all, and she later got a text message from the airline asking her to please pick up her bag in Hong Kong. Another 45 minutes later, we registered all our baggage concerns and were assured the bags might be on the next flight. Unfortunately, that is not today but maybe Thursday or Friday. We will see.


Sent from my iPad

2 comments:

Paul Rockower said...

"I can't imagine such a long flight in coach."

SCREW YOU. I am forever stuck in cattle class. I consider it "business class" when I have an empty seat next to me, and "first class" when there is an empty row.

DrBones said...

Not my concern.