Sunday, November 2, 2014

Last day in Yangon

Dinner last night at a very fancy French restaurant. The food was good but presented stupendously. Each dish was served covered, and then the waiters on command stepped between us and lifted the covers simultaneously. Very cute. Unfortunately, we were outside with candle light, so there was no way to take a picture. The fish was grouper with a somewhat spicy crust. Actually very good.
This morning at breakfast, we had a birthday cake for Ann, and we sang. The staff of the hotel had a signed card as well as one from Chang and all of our group. I commented that my gift to her was that I was leaving her!
We piled onto the bus for one last trip around the city. We went to see the giant lying Buddha. It is 165 feet long and about 30 feet high. It was built in 1907 by some businessman. Totally huge. It was also our last "shoes off" site. Many of the pagodas and temples here require us to be barefoot. Not always a pleasant experience.
We went to the city center to see city hall which was an old British building. We took a walk to see other old colonial buildings and wound up at the Strand Hotel, a famous old place from colonial times. We found some puppies along the way and of course stopped for more pictures. I'll try to get some of them up as well.
After we dropped Ann and Elsa off back at the Scott market for more shopping, we came back to the hotel. We wished Earl and Aloma goodbye as they were leaving this afternoon.
The room wasn't ready, so I wandered back down to the lobby, and ran into a wedding. The bride and her maids were in peach, and the groom was a naval officer, in uniform. As in Delhi, they invited me in and I took lovely pictures of them and the ceremony. Very cool. They even gave me a party favor.
I'm now awaiting for dinner then to the airport for my 1am flight to Hong Kong. Tomorrow will be a never ending day, 20 hours in the air, 8 hours or more in airports, 13 time zones, and I get home to DC at 6 PM. Blecch.

No comments: