Friday, March 12, 2010

Day 1 - Friday

First stop - Atlit - where the British used to house the refugees in the late 40's before the state. The people who were coming from the camps in Europe had to deal with another VERY similar looking camp with barbed wire and separation of the sexes. Also they has "disinfection" and "showers" to go through which must have been VERY chilling. At least the people were fed by the British. We saw a movie how Yitzak Rabin helped free 250 of them one night. It brought back memories of when I was here with Ellen, and we had done a role play with the kids trying to "escape".
Then to Zichron Yaakov, one of the first moshavot from the first Aliyah in the 1880's. They had a very hard time, and appealed to Baron Rothschild for help. He sent his men who bought up all the land and basically subjugated the settlers. After about 10 years, they finally relented and returned the land, but it wasn't pretty. We spent way too much time going through a museum to the Aliyah, and I bolted to wander in the park across the street. Lunch of schwarma and felafel on the walking street. Satisfying, but not scrumptious. (I had to say that for Paul's sake)
Now we are waiting for Shabbat at the hotel. We are going to a sister congregation of Temple Micah, Or Kadash. The people who have been there say it is a clone of Micah. I'll give my report tomorrow if I can get on the internet on Shabbat.

1 comment:

Paul Rockower said...

Don't bother me with "satisfying but not scrumptious." I don't waste your time with boring food, only the stuff that deserves my pen and prose.